Thursday, December 30, 2010

A day of contrasts

Gail would have turned 65 today.  I visited the gravesite and of course in the winter it is desolate and lonely feeling.  I remained there for a time just to remember some of her most happy birthdays.  The one where we gave her the table and chairs, the one where I gave her the special coat, the one where we surprised her at the Dodges, the one where we went out with Al/Deb and about 40 people came over and where here to surprise her when we got home.  Yes there were many times to remember BUT here I am looking at 2011 and it seems so strange that we lost Gail in 2009.  I am so thankful for the time with her.
The day was indeed strange.  We received rain most of the day and one could see that the snow went down but there is still much much left.  I spent about an hour and a half taking ice off of the two areas on the north side of the house.  I was able to get maybe 20% of the ice off but more importantly was able to make a path so that water will not build up but will drain off of the roof.  I expect and I hope that will take care of any problems before they start. 
I now have ALL of the Christmas things put away and it looks kind of stark in here.  I put all of the things in the attic as they were in my closet in the past.  Before I took the tree out yesterday I still could smell it which was interesting as it had gotten very dry.
I had to think to myself as I came in this afternoon that really my body at times tells me that things are different than 10 years ago.  I really did not like to be on the ladder near the roof line and when I got in the house I knew that I had worked for some time chopping.  What is this, am I really getting to middle age????
I just finished eating and as I ate I watched gunsmoke---a show from the past. 
I think it is time to do dishes.

No comments: