Sunday, December 19, 2010

A ride down memory lane

Here is our family picture of 2008.  Since then we have lost our Gail and gained Jude and Ruby Gail. 
As I was riding my 30+ minutes on the bike this morning I listened to Christmas music to help the time pass but I also spent the time reflecting on life over the last many many years.  Some of the thoughts were:
  • Life just moves way to fast
  • I have always been one to say I don't want to go back into the past I just want to move forward with my life and I guess I still say that but with the Advent Season here and Christmas fast approaching it is difficult to really have that in my heart.
  • I remembered the presents at home on the farm.  Mom and Dad always put them above the kitchen cupbroards.  I remember the reflectors on the tree lights.  
  • I remembered my all time favorite present which was a clock radio.  I knew I would so enjoy listening the Harry Cary and the St. Louis Cardinal baseball as I fell asleep in the summer time.
  • I remembered Gail's and my first Christmas together with our Charlie Brown tree.
  • One of the most fun Christmas presents in our family was when we gave a computer to the kids.  Each one had a present to open and it was maybe the printer or the key board or another part and the screams of delight still ring in my ears.
  • Of course the many many times we would go and cut our tree.  One year Gail decided she wanted 2 trees, one for the living room and one for the basement.  On the way home one of them fell off the top of the car!!
  • The first 2 Christmas' we were in St. Paul most of my family came.  We had aunts, uncles and cousins sleeping every place possible.  It was one of our most fun extended family times.
  • All our Christmas times after grandchildren arrived were special
  • I thought about the Christmas we gave each of the boys a tool box that I made.  I think they may still have them.
  • There was the time we drove to CA to be with grandma/grandpa Saunders
The thoughts went on and on and on.  As I glanced at my timer and saw that my 30 minutes was up I was ready to reflect just a bit more on today.  Here I was riding my bike at about 11:30 AM.  I had been to church, had read the paper, had a bite to eat, spent time praying and now was finishing some exercise.  As I went to take a shower I glanced at the guy in the mirror as I passed.  My what a life can do to a person.  It was not visible but I knew that in the back of that head was a bald spot, the arms did not look so strong, the neck had some wrinkles, the stomach was a bit too big, those biking legs were actually not bad, the chest didn't seem to be as broad as I think I remember BUT---with my best effort, with the attitude of a brave guy I smiled, held my head up straight and said in a voiceless tone, "God I am happy to be alive, I am happy to be here, I am thankful for a wonderful family and if I ever forget to be grateful please forgive me.  Thank you for the gift of your son and I promise you that I will always try my best to love and serve you."
Well it is on the a couple of things before a 3:00 Christmas program I will be going to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also remember when Dad had bought you and Dave a bbgun and told us kids not to try to open the trunk of the car cause it was froze shut. I also remember the Christmas that I peeked at my present on top of the cuppboard, that ruined my Christmas no fun. Have never done that again.Joan