Friday, December 31, 2010

Good Bye 2010

Tomorrow as we wake up it will be a new year, perhaps a new beginning, maybe new excitment but whatever term will define 2011 for us one thing is certain.  Life will go on, change will take place and we need to hear the Lord and act.  I am wondering what he may want me to change this year, what he may want me to do, where he may want me to go but of course time will tell.
I put the bike on my last blog of the year as it kind of sums up my year.  It was an item that I spent more money on than anything for myself in my life.  It was something that Aaron in such a special way guided me through so that I could get what I desired and then he ordered and built it for me.  I realize that "things" are not really important but for many reasons this bike is special for me because of who made it, how it was put together, what I can do with it and it surely sums up my life at this point. The only thing that it does in a wrong way is it is such a fast bike and I still have this slow body!!!!
This year was really not too eventful but yet was special in many ways.
  • Our family was able to all be together July 4th weekend at a camp ground.  That was special.  Even when I ended up in the hospital with a bad back it was great to be together as a family.
  • Servant Camp was again so powerful in how God worked.  It was inspiring to be part of it.
  • For sure the highlight was February 1st when little Ruby Gail Lee arrived in Madison.  I just can not believe that a little female Bucky Badger can be so cute!!
  • Christmas Day was special this year as we were again all together.  We almost did that earlier in June but Mike was out of town so we were all together minus one then.
  • Perhaps the most difficult part of 2010 was to see John/Mary/Audrey/Liam and Henry move to South Bend IN.  No doubt it was what God intended for them at this time but for me it was very difficult to see them move 500 miles away.  In our world now that may not be very far but when you desire to stop in for a cup of coffee on a cool rainy day it is too far!!
  • On a personal level biking and exercising was a highlight.  I have not gotten to my desired weight but I was able to lose weight, in fact I am now 35 pounds less than when I retired 3+ years ago.  Carrying less weight makes me feel better, makes me look better, helps me be more spiritually tuned in to God and it also gave me several new shirts and pants that had been too small!
  • Getting my bike was another highlight.  It may sound crazy that a 63 year old guy would be so excited about a bike but it was wonderful and I am so thankful to Aaron.
  • I would say that I did not accomplish 2 of my biggest goals this year.  Those were to get the electrical redone in the house and to paint the garage BUT I did finish round 2 and 3 of cleaning, ordering, throwing, and recycling.  The biggest of that was to completely clean the front attic of the garage.  In doing that I found a few things that I needed to find but really most of it was tossed.  
  • My "down" of the year was my inability to do much woodworking.  I tried and tried and tried to get out into the shop and mostly all I could muster up was some clean up, some ordering and then emotional turmoil would set in and I would sit and think of times past.  I have not given up on my woodworking so will try again in 2011.  Little did Gail know what went though my mind that sunny June day in 2009 when I brought in part of a project to show her.  She looked at me with those eyes and said, "Carmen I can not die yet because I want to see all of the beautiful things you will make in your shop".
  • I did get a new car this year.  It is always fun to have that but it was not a big deal.
So what will 2011 bring??  We do not know and would not desire to know ahead of time but for sure change will happen.  My hope and prayer is that I can embrace  and know what God has in mind and of course my free will enters into that in a big way so Lord give me wisdom and grace to live and act according to your desires for me.
I intend to spend a quiet last day of this year.  I may stop over to some friends for a short time this evening but for the most part I will be quietly ending this year and spending time in prayer and thought about what tomorrow and next year may bring.
For those who read this I pray that 2010 has been a good year and that 2011 will be full of "Godly" things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. We can certainly know how we fit into God's plan. Matthew 7:7 Ask , and it shall be given you; seek , and ye shall find; knock , and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. God has promised, He doesn't lie.
And keep up that woodworking! You do make beautiful things.
Dave DVL