Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back

Gail as the little Oakland CA dolly.
I am back from taking Henry to school.  I have to admit that I have become a bit lazy.  As I looked at this week yesterday I said to myself that is one busy schedule and I think I became a bit up tight.  But really it is perhaps what should be my normal life so I think I have grown complacent. 
Yesterday was a very fun time.  Mark L dad is great.  Here is a guy who will be 84 this year and when Mark asked him how much wood he had split and stacked he said about 80 full cords!!!  It appears that he keeps himself busy all the time, about everything he has was purchased at auction and then he fixes and makes things work.  His house is, for a wood worker, a dream as the entire house inside and out is made from wood harvested off his land, milled, dried and cut.  I would say his main room has  ceiling of 20 feet or so and it is all tongue and groove birch.  Kitchen cabinets are made in the same way and the list goes on and on.  Anyway it was a fun day and the only problem was I bought too much wood.  I came home with about a 1/2 cord of firewood, a birch 1/2 log about 5 feet long and weighing perhaps 200 pounds and around 270 board feet of tongue and groove birch.  In the cities the cost would have been about $1100 and my bill was 382.  Now do I need all of the wood?   Not at this time but Arnie is not milling birch any more so I purchased the last of what he had.  I thought at that price I could not go wrong and I will use it over a long period of time.  Now with the oak I have, the walnut tree that is cut  in 10 slabs and birch I had better stop buying wood and start making things!!!
I had better get some things done.  Liam is here and his cartoons has to be limited so need some games and maybe even some work!!

No comments: